WHO says Ebola area contained but Congo needs long-term support
By Editor - Thu Mar 14, 11:06 am
“We have averted a much larger outbreak,” WHO chief Tedros Ghebreyesus Adhanom told a news conference, adding that the affected area was contained and shrinking within a certain geographic area. “Our target now is to finish it within the next six months.” The number of new cases has halved to 25 per week since January, and the virus was now concentrated in Butembo and Katwa, although community distrust and attacks by armed groups were hampering the response. On Thursday, a group of young men attacked an Ebola center for the fifth time since last month, said Richard Nyembo Wa Nyembo, the administrator of Lubero territory, after health workers attempted to collect samples from the body of a man who had died of the virus.
Originally posted here: